Random thoughts from this week:
- I didn’t write a Friday Five post last week, and almost didn’t this week. Last week was kind of overwhelming, and I was in kind of a strange spot where I didn’t particularly feel like reflecting on or revisiting the week. I needed my Friday off, so I took it.
- My friend Mike moved to Hawaii this week. He loaded up a couple of suitcases, hopped on a plane, and set out on a journey to find himself. I’m glad that I had the opportunity to hang out with him for a few hours a couple of weeks ago before he left… to hear his excitement and his fears, to hear his dreams, and even to help him pick out a nice shirt at Kmart that he’s now wearing for job interviews in Hawaii. I’m excited to see the ways that he is shaped during this journey.
- We bought a couch this week. I didn’t realize how much I had missed having a couch until it was delivered on Tuesday. Seriously. And last night I was especially thankful when I couldn’t sleep… so thankful I ended up crashing on the couch until eleven o’clock this morning.
- The next few weeks are gonna be crazy ones in youth ministry land: still lining up adult volunteers, planning a calendar for the year, kicking off the school year, etc. It’s a fun time, but this is the time of the year where I am starting to wish I had been around for more than four weeks of this summer. There is a lot that needs to get done in a very limited amount of time.
- This week at youth group we spent two hours (plus some before hand) doing a deep clean of some of our space–scrubbing, vacuuming, sorting, and pitching. There’s still a lot of work left to do in the next few weeks to get that space ready for fall, but the sense of ownership it has already started to create for the space is great. And the fresh smell isn’t too bad either!