Random thoughts from this week:
- I’ve started to submit some of my posts over at Called to Youth Ministry, a new site making a collaborative effort to equip leaders for youth ministry with resources and networking opportunities. There’s some good stuff happening over there, and it’s worth your time to check out if you find yourself living and ministering among the pre-teen and teenage population.
- Can I just say that I love Words with Friends? I love the way that it helps me keep in touch with far away friends. I love the way it fuels my incessant need for competition (okay, maybe that’s a little less than healthy). I love the banter and mild trash talk that sometimes ensues. It’s good stuff. If you’re not playing and you have a smartphone, start! But first, make sure to read Jon Acuff’s article on Maintaining Your Faith While Playing Words With Friends.
- Last week was the first of two consecutive Youth Sundays at Epiphany. I loved hearing young people share how God has been shaping their faith through summer trips. I’m excited to hear some more of our youth share this weekend.
- Speaking of Youth Sunday, I spent my portion of the sharing time talking about a canister of Play-Doh that I keep on my desk. Early in the week, a woman from the congregation stopped by my office with a bag full of mini Play-Doh canisters. 🙂 It was a small gesture, some stuff she happened to have left over from trick-or-treat, but it made a huge impact. I can’t wait to start using those little canisters to encourage our young people to continue sharing their faith-shaping stories.
- I’m hanging out at one of my old haunts this morning, Caribou Coffee in Mayfield. It was fun to come in this morning and see some of the “regulars” and to catch up a little bit. I spent so much time and energy here in the three years I spent in seminary, I almost feel like I am obligated to come in on the rare occasions I find myself back in Cleveland. It’s like visiting family. 🙂